siesta

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Do Chinese Herbal Remedies Really Work?

It's often said that the older we get the more stuck in our ways we become. In fact, studies have shown that it's around the age of 35 when folks stop listening to new music or trying out new foods etc. However, this observation does not seem to apply with regards to alternative medicine and healing methods, and in particular Chinese herbal remedies. Is it that we're loosing faith in conventional medicine or just that older folks are more concerned about the potential adverse reactions caused by traditional treatments?

There's one thing that can't be argued about, and that is Chinese herbal remedies have been around a lot longer than all the stuff we see on the pharmaceutical shelves these days. In some cases, the Chinese have been using herbs to treat certain ills for 1000's of years. One of the main benefits of Chinese herbal healing over man made cures is that there's a much reduced risk of any harmful side affects. This has to be one of the major benefits that Chinese herbal remedies have over typical medications.

There is a bit of hocus pocus hype in some of it though and I can speak from personal experience here. I remember once I cut my toes in the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia. About a week later, I saw worms had gotten under my skin and were causing immense soreness and irritation. As soon as I got to Georgetown on the island of Penang, I visited a Chinese drug store as recommended by a local doctor.

A scrawny little chap on the other side of the counter gave me a small plastic container which was full if spiders legs, and a bagful of herbal tea. The spider's legs had to be rubbed into the effected area twice daily and the tea drank morning, noon, and night. It goes without saying that I eventually had to get proper medical care for my infected toes and this particular Chinese remedy did nothing to alleviate or cure the condition.

But that was one incident, for one condition, at one moment in time, and it's easy to focus on the negative. The fact of the matter is that millions of people around the world swear by Chinese herbal remedies which can be taken topically or internally for all manner of ills. I've included some of the more common uses for Chinese herbal remedies below, but the real list is in fact quite exhaustive.

Acne, Alcoholism, Allergies, Arthritis, Asthma, Back Pain, Burns, Cancer, High Cholesterol, Colds and Flu, Constipation, Depression, Diabetes, Diarrhea, Eczema, Hair Loss, Head Lice, Headaches, Heart Problems, Hemorrhoids, and Immune Disorders

Although the use of herbs in itself is not considered harmful, I would not recommend anyone try to self diagnose any illness and prescribe their own treatments. Being who I am and where I come from, my first port of call is always to the surgery of my local doctor. However, now that I've learnt a bit more about the potential benefits of Chinese herbal remedies, I will always let the doctor know of my findings and try them out based on his or her suggestions. From what I believe, a lot of folks are using Chinese herbal remedies in conjunction with conventional treatments and not instead of.

The internet has a plethora of useful and interesting sites based around Chinese herbal remedies, acupuncture, and massage techniques. It's a fascination subject and will make a great read for anyone interested in alternative treatments.

Andy Maingam is a proficient writer and webmaster for Oriental Cures dot com where he has articles on Acupuncture School and A Natural Cure for Depression. He also has many other cure related pieces on the site.

?gclid=cnbc2drehpmcfrsyewodxldqsw
Related Products Bg2
?gclid=cij325mdojmcfrsdewodvw15rq
?gclid=cin09c2hnpmcfqy3egodygneqw
Verifydevice T
?gclid=ckqzremtizmcfriaewodtvl8ua
Rss Title
?gclid=cklu47 Cnpmcfqmyewodysdrrg
?gclid=co3wgpy1mjmcfq01egodbtcwqq
?gclid=cn3skitqnzmcfq42egodzifmqg
?gclid=cjk Tmv8lzmcfrgxewodkibcsw
Join Events
Bottom01
?gclid=cmwi6e2lojmcfrcdewodfhojqq
?gclid=cjyqs8lslzmcfrazewodyq Ltw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home